A History of Our School
Walterstown National School was founded on June 9th, 1884. A local brick, from Belvelly, was used to build the original school building. Denis O’Mahony was the first príomhóide, while Miss Bride was the assistant teacher. There were 160 pupils in the school at this time. The school was heated using wood in an open fire. The children had to bring in the wood!
In 1890, the school won a prestigious award for the high standard of teaching called the Carlyle Blake Award. The school also won it again in 1929.
The list of principals in order is: Mr. Denis O’Mahony, Mr. John O’Neill, Mr. Cronin, Mr. Lucy, Mr. Ryall, Miss. Brown, Mr. Hurley, Mrs. Síle Crowley, Mr. Eoghan Rua O’Neill, Mr. Mícheál Rea, Mr. Keith Ó’Brolacháin and our current Principal, Mr Rory O’Sullivan.
A teacher’s residence was built in the field beside the school. There was also a pitch that the school used in this field. The new school building was built on this pitch and the old house was demolished. The new school was built in 2002 using brick in the same colour as the old school beside it and this added to the character of it and helps it blend in to the local surroundings.
We have since had to build an extra classroom so we can fit all the boys and girls in.The old school building is currently used as a community centre for the Ballymore Community Association. There is an after-schools club and a preschool based there, as well as numerous social and community related activities.
Our school participates in a wide range of sporting activities. Athletics is one of our strengths, and our annual trip to Páirc Uí Chaoimh is a highlight of the scholastic year.